Mental health and well-being
Senior Responsible Officer: John Lawlor
Chief Executive for Northumberland, Tyne and Wear Foundation NHS Trust
Senior Responsible Officer: Dr David Hambleton
Chief Officer for South Tyneside Clinical Commissioning Group
The mental health work stream is focused on addressing health inequalities and preventing illness, through promoting well-being and improving outcomes for people who experience mental ill health.
Seven priorities and key principles are providing focus for this work, with detailed delivery plans for each area. These are:
- Child health: Transforming children and young people’s services to improve mental health, physical health and well-being.
- ‘Zero suicide’ ambition: Supporting delivery of Every Life Matters and Suicide Prevention is Everyone’s Business.
- Employment: Increasing opportunities for people with mental ill health including education, training and volunteering. Ensuring NHS organisations are exemplar employers; providing opportunities and supporting those with illness to return to work and volunteering.
- Optimising health services: Enabling people to access the right care at the right time, from the right person.
- Long term conditions and persistent physical symptoms: Enabling people with physical health problems to live their lives to the full and minimising unnecessary and inappropriate treatment.
- Older people: Recognising that older people with mental health problems may have more than one long term condition, focusing on prevention and early identification, and ensuring that care is joined up.
- Improving the physical health of people in receipt of treatment for a mental health or learning disability condition: Reducing premature mortality of people living with severe mental illness and improving physical health of more than 280,000 people.
Work will have an evidence-focused culture in order to continuously improve what we are doing, to maximise the benefits for patients, carers and staff. Our evidence and evaluation group will put this approach at the centre of everything we do.
Find out more in our year one report, which highlights progress to date.
Further information is also available from project director firstname.lastname@example.org